A family member has just finished receiving rehab following a recent fall. We are trying to decide if we can take care of them at home. Are services available to help with transferring, bathing, preparing meals, and making sure they are safe?

Sometimes patients need therapy to regain lost strength due to a hospitalization. Once a patient is able to stand and bear weight, they will be able to go home with help to transfer, prepare meals and assist with personal hygiene. These services can be provided by a nursing assistant consisting of 2 hours a day up to 24 hours a day.


My home health nurse has suggested a social worker for my father. I am the main caregiver to my father and I give very good care. I am concerned as to why the nurse is recommending a social worker evaluation. Could they make me place my father in a nursing home if we don't want to?

A social worker in home health is someone who can offer guidance in long range care planning. They can make referrals to many community services that will help you to care for your father. By accepting other resources of assistance you will be able to keep your father at home much longer than if you continue to do it all yourself. A home health social worker is your partner in care. For a free evaluation visit, call Alterna-Care.


My grandmother is diabetic and doesn't manage her diabetes the way she should. She forgets to check her blood sugar and sometimes forgets to eat or take her diabetic medication. Will Medicare pay for someone to help her remember to perform her glucose checks and make sure she takes her medicine?

Diabetic patients may benefit from our specialized care services. If your grandmother is homebound, her physician can order a home health evaluation. The diabetes specialist can install one of our HomMedT monitors that will transmit her vital signs and glucose readings to the agency on a daily basis. If we do not receive her transmission the nurse will contact her to make sure she checks her blood sugar, eats, and takes her medication. After her Medicare coverage ends, she can keep the monitor for a low monthly fee


What is the difference between a nurses' aide (CNA), a Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) and a Registered nurse (RN)? I have all three coming to visit my mother with our home health agency and I don't understand what they are doing for her.

The difference is related to the amount of education they all receive and their scope of practice. A registered nurse must supervise LPN's and CNA's. Registered nurses have at least a 2 year associate degree in nursing from an accredited college of nursing. Their education is scientifically based. LPN's have 9 months of education and are task oriented in their care. CNA's have approximately 8 weeks of training in personal assistance. If your mother is receiving home health services, then there is a registered nurse overseeing her care. The RN will assign LPN's to assist in performing some of the basic nursing tasks. A CNA may also be assigned to assist with personal activities of daily living.